Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning occurs from inhaling CO fumes. Carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas made by burning fuels, such as gasoline, wood, natural gas, coal, or kerosene. Inhaling too much carbon monoxide is a life-threatening emergency that prevents the proper use of oxygen in the body, affecting vital organs like the heart and brain. While infants, pregnant women, children, and the elderly are at risk, people with pre-existing heart and lung complications face more significant risks when exposed to carbon monoxide. Quick CPR can help you protect your loved ones and other vulnerable groups through our individualized CPR classes.
Statistics show that most carbon monoxide poisoning incidents occur in the winter, which doesn’t limit the incidents to one season every year. The risk of CO poisoning is high if you have an unvented space heater at home. These appliances use indoor air and combustible fuel to provide heat and vent the fumes it produces in your rooms instead of releasing the gases outside. When carbon monoxide and other toxic gases are released in your indoor space, it uses up all the oxygen, compromising air quality.
Other sources of carbon monoxide poisoning include tobacco smoke, malfunctioning cooking appliances, clogged chimney, auto exhaust, and other fuel-burning appliances at home. CO poisoning emergencies can happen anytime. A CPR certification allows you to provide the needed care to affected individuals and take steps to mitigate further deterioration of the victim’s condition.
As aforementioned, carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless, meaning one can be exposed without their knowledge. Our CPR classes cover all the bases concerning CO poisoning, ensuring you are well-informed and skilled to assess and act depending on the severity of the situation. Some symptoms to look out for include headache, weakness, dizziness, rapid heartbeat, seizures, and shortness of breath, among many others.
The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can easily pass for other medical conditions, which is why you need to see a healthcare professional for diagnosis. CO poisoning is usually diagnosed based on exposure, and enrolling in CPR certification training gives you a chance to provide emergency care before professionals arrive.
If a member of your household exhibit symptoms of CO poisoning, help them move outside to get fresh air. Turn off the source of the fumes, but only do so quickly and safely without putting yourself at risk. The next step is to call your local emergency medical service before providing emergency care.
If the victim has stopped breathing, ensure they get fresh air while you perform CPR to restore function to vital organs. CPR should be performed for two minutes as you wait for the medical team to arrive. The victim will receive further treatment to prevent the deterioration after carbon monoxide exposure which may also include therapy.
Contact us at Quick CPR and schedule a consultation with our representatives for more information on how to spot and prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Enroll today for online or in-person CPR classes and expand your portfolio with lifesaving skills.